Balanced and healthy meals are freshly prepared and cooked daily by Caterlink's cook and the catering team at Ash Croft. Meals can be selected daily to accommodate your child's preferences.
The Children and Families Act 2014 places a legal duty on all state-funded schools in England, including academies and free schools to offer a free school lunch to all pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 from September 2014. The School policy states that pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are not allowed to bring packed lunches to school. A sandwich option is available daily.
Are you entitled to FREE SCHOOL MEALS (FSM) please get in touch with the Office staff.
At Ash Croft, we are committed to ensuring our pupils learn how to stay healthy. The PSHE curriculum teaches the importance of healthy eating, why we need exercise and how to care for our bodies.
We have a healthy eating policy in school.
Children in Key Stage One have a piece of fruit at morning break provided by the school and the older children can bring in a healthy snack (preferably fruit) or buy fruit from the morning tuck shop.
Whilst the school dinners provide the children with a healthy and balanced meal, packed lunches brought from home can vary enormously in nutritional value.
The following information is from healthylunch.org;
A good packed lunch contains:
- A starchy food, such as bread, rolls, pitta bread, naan bread, potatoes, rice, noodles.
- These foods are good for children to fill up on.
- A good source of protein, iron and zinc such as meat, fish, beans, nuts or eggs.
- A good source of calcium such as milk, cheese, yoghurt or fromage frais.
- And one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetable or salad to provide all the other vitamins and minerals. A piece of fruit could be a 100% juice or piece of fresh fruit, dried fruit or tinned fruit in fruit juice. A piece of vegetable could be a fresh vegetables such as carrot stick, salad or a vegetable soup or vegetable dish.
No single food contains all the essential nutrients the body needs to be healthy and function efficiently so it is important that the content of the packed lunch is varied.
NB: We do not allow any fizzy drinks.