At Derby City Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress and achieve their potential in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible. At Ash Croft we have a graduated approach to SEND, ensuring early identification of needs and a continuum of support for children in order to enable them to make progress. Please refer to our SEND Policy which outlines the purpose, nature and management of special educational needs within our school.

  • Send Policy - Click here
  • Accessibility Policy - Click here
  • Equality Plan - Click here

Definition of Special Educational Needs and Disability

The Code of Practice (2014) states that a child or young person has a special educational need or disability if they have a learning difficulty or a disability which calls for educational provision to be made for him or her.


A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • Has a slightly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or

  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.

What is the Local Authority Local Offer?

Derby’s SEND Local Offer is an online one stop shop for parents and young people to find out about all the services and support on offer to children and young people from birth to 25 who have special educational needs and/or Disabilities (SEND)in the city. Derby City Council, along with all other local authorities, are required to pub-lish information about services they expect to be available in their area. Derby City’s Local Offer is available here: . It tells parents how to access services and support in Derby City and what to expect from these services, including details of Higher Needs Funding and Education and Health Care Plans.

What is the SEND Information Report?

The SEND Information Report uses the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of pupils with SEND as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

What kind of special educational needs might the children at Ash Croft Primary Academy have?

The SEN Code of Practice suggests that there are four areas of need:-

  • Communication and Interaction

  • Cognition and Learning

  • Social, emotional and mental health (previously behavioural, social and emotional difficulties)

  • Sensory and/or physical

Communication and Interaction (SLCN)

Children and young people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to say, difficulty understanding what is being said to them or that they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The picture for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language or social communication at different times in their lives. Children and young people with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, including Asperger’s and Autism, are likely to have particular difficulties in this area. They may also experience difficulties with language, communication, social interaction and imagination, which can impact on how they relate to others.

Cognition and Learning (MLD, SLD, PMLD, SpLD)

Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD) - where children are likely to need support in all areas of the curriculum and may have associated difficulties with mobility and communication, through to profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), where children are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as physical disability or sensory impairment. Specific learning difficulties (SpLD) affect one or more specific aspects of learning. This encompasses a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.

Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties (ADD, ADHD, AD)

Children and young people may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which reveal themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour. These behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties such as anxiety or depression, self-harming, eating disorders or physical symptoms that may be medically unexplained. Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD) or attachment disorder (AD).

Sensory and/or Physical Needs (VI, HI, MSI, PD)

Some children and young people require special educational provision because they have a disability which prevents of hinders them from making use of the educational facilities generally provided. These difficulties can be age related and may fluctuate over time. Many children and young people with visual impairment (VI) hearing impairment (HI) or a multi sensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning. Children and young people with an MSI have a combination of vision and hearing difficulties, which makes it even more difficult for them to access the curriculum to study programme than for those with a single sensory impairment. Some children and young people with a physical disability (PD) require additional ongoing support and equipment to access all the opportunities available to their peers.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/special educational need or disability (SEND)?

The Class Teacher - Who is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.

  • Writing SEND Target Plans and sharing and reviewing these with parents/carers at least once each term and planning for the next term.

  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map

  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all pupils they teach with any SEND

  • Overseeing support that TAs provide for your child

  • Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning

The SENCO – Mrs H Hadfield

Who is responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy.

  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).

  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

  • Ensuring that you are:

  • Involved in your child’s learning

  • Kept informed about the support your child is getting

  • Involved in reviewing how they are doing

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning eg Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology

  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.

The Head of Academy – Mrs Ubhie

Who is responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.

  • The Head of Academy will give responsibility to the SENCo and Class Teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

  • The Head of Academy must make sure that the Academy is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

Academy contact telephone numbers:  01332 764160

Academy email address :

How are the children with Special Educational Needs identified and assessed?

At Ash Croft Academy  children are identified as having SEND through a variety of ways including the following:

  • Liaison with the previous educational setting

  • Tracking information – is the child performing below age expected levels?

  • School based assessments carried out initially by the class teacher

  • Further school based assessments carried out by the SENCo where concerns are raised

  • Concerns raised by parents/carers

  • Concerns raised by school staff

  • Liaison with external agencies

  • Health diagnosis

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

Class Teacher input through targeted classroom teaching (known as Quality First Teaching)

For your child, this would mean:-

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

  • That all teaching builds on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.

  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

a) Intervention programmes which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room/area.

  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies eg Speech and Language Therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/class teacher as needing extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority services, such as teachers from the Specialist Teaching Team

  • Health Services such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists or physiotherapists

  • Sensory support services such as hearing or visual impairment specialist teachers

  • Outside agencies such as the Educational Psychology Service

    What could happen:

  • You will usually be asked to give your signed permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g Speech and Language Therapist, Paediatrician, School Nurse or Educational Psychologist. This will help you and the school to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

  • If appropriate, the specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong. This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs but more recently is known as an Education, Health and Care Plan(EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups. Your child will also need specialist support in school from an external professional, which may include any agency that is listed above.

For your child this would mean:

The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out an Education, Health and Care assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child. After the request has been made to the Panel of Professionals (with a lot of information about your child and including some from you) they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided) seem complex enough to need a further assessment. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. The EHCP will outline the amount of funding the school will receive from the LA to support your child. It will also outline how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will include long and short term goals for your child. An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child. Other resources may also be secured through this funding but this is a collaborative decision involving education or health care professionals and yourself.

How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially. If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress then you should make an appointment to see the SENCo. The SEND governor may also be contacted for support.

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s progress in school?

If your child is identified as not making good progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have

  • Plan any additional support your child may need

  • Discuss with you any referrals that can be made to outside professionals to support your child.

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in learning?

The school budget, received from Derby City LA includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Head of Academy decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the SENCo and school governors on the basis of needs in the school. The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils and this identifies the support given within the school and is reviewed regularly. Changes will be made as needed so that the needs of children are met and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

Who are the other people providing services to SEND children and their families?

  • Teaching Assistants working with individual children or in small groups

  • Full time TA support in Reception to ensure early intervention

  • Educational psychologist

What provision does the Local Authority deliver in school?

  • Specialist Teaching Team – StePs – ASD team- Hearing Impairment Team

  • Parents Partnership

  • Behaviour Support Service

  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)

What provision does Health and Social Care deliver in school?

  • School Nurse

  • Occupational Therapy

  • Physiotherapy

  • Paediatricians (Community Child Health)

How are teachers in the school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do members of staff have?

The SENCo’s role is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN. Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class. 

Class teachers plan lessons and differentiate their planning according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that our child’s needs are met through the use of specific resources and strategies. Where necessary, support staff can adapt planning to support the needs of your child under the direction of the Class Teacher.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher and their progress reviewed formally with the senior leadership team every term through pupil progress meetings. If your child is in Year 1 or above and working below where they should be a more sensitive assessment tool can be used called P scales which breaks down learning into smaller steps.

At the end of Year 2 and Year 6 children are required to be formally assessed using standard tests (SATS) which is a government requirement and these results are published nationally.

Where SEND support is necessary, children will have an individual plan named a Plan, Do, Review Report which is based on targets agreed by children, teachers, parents, the SENCo and agencies specific to their needs. The progress of children with a Statement of SEN or an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at a yearly Annual Review meeting. The SENCo will also check progress by book scrutinies and lesson observations.

What support do we offer for you as a parent/carer of a child with SEND?

We operate an open door policy and if you have any worries about your child your child’s Class Teacher and the SENCo are always available to meet with you to discuss specific needs or concerns. All outside agencies will contact you directly to keep you informed of their involvement. Plan, Do and Review targets will be reviewed with your involvement each term . The Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) are available to give further confidential advice and support should you need it.

They can be contacted on: Telephone – 01332 641414 Email – Derby & Derbyshire Parent Partnership c/o The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS.

How is the Academy accessible to children with SEND?

The Academy is fully compliant with Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) requirements. All classrooms can be accessed on single level entry and the front entrances are wheel chair friendly. There is one disabled toilet in the Academy situated in the main school building and extra-curricular activities are available to all.

How will we support your child when they are moving between phases of education?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and we take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

Your child will be able to visit our school. You may be given an opportunity for additional visits where appropriate to help prepare your child for their move to school.

If your child is moving to another school

We will contact the school’s SENCo and ensure that he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school and we will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school

Information will be passed onto the new class teacher in advance and in a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Your child will participate in a transition period with his peers and will be able to visit more frequently if needed.

How will we support your child’s emotional and social development?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These can manifest themselves in a number of ways including behavioural difficulties, anxiety and struggling to communicate effectively. All classes follow a structured PSHCE (Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer small group work for children to learn how to improve their co-operation with one another and to be responsible for others. There is a range of extra-curricular groups which all children are invited to join and there is lunchtime support through planned activities and groups.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCO will approach the Inclusion Team to see if an Early Help Assessment may be necessary.

Complaints Procedure

Pupils, staff and their parents/carers are expected to listen carefully and respectfully to each other. Where an issue arises, parents/carers should make an appointment to speak with their child’s Class Teacher and seek to resolve any concerns but if they feel that their concerns have not been resolved to their satisfaction, an appointment should be made to speak to the Headteacher who will investigate and report back on the results of the investigation. Where an issue is not satisfactorily resolved, parents/carers should then take up the matter with the Chief Executive of the Academy. A copy of the Academy's Complaints procedure is available on request from academy.

Student Login